The focus is on post 16 options, transition skills and the application process.
In Year 11 as part of the PSHE programme students will:
- Discuss options post 16, qualifications, FE and HE
- Progress through the career planning cycle to explore possibilities
- Learn transition and decision making skills
- Learn how to make an application, write a CV and a cover letter
- The importance of personal statements and interviews
- Enable students to understand the importance of verbal and non-verbal communication within an interview situation
The programme of events for year 11 includes:
- Training providers
To inform on the many choices available post 16.
All students in Year 11 will have a 1:1 meeting about their option choices, career routes and post 16 options. This will build on their individual career learning plan helping students to refine career targets for the future and will form part of their target setting review.
The opportunity to visit job shows and skills events such as the National Apprenticeship Show and Skills Show.
A careers advisor will be present at Year 11 parents evening.
Icould - Careers advice, choices & ideas
Careersbox - Watch videos of people in different jobs
Take a quiz to explore careers in different worlds of work:
www.thetechpartnership.com/tech-future-careers/quiz - roles in the tech world
Milton Keynes College: www.mkcollege.ac.uk
Moulton College: www.moulton.ac.uk
Northampton College: www.northamptoncollege.ac.uk
Bedford College: www.bedford.ac.uk
Other places to get independent advice:
The National Careers Service: www.nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk
The Youth Faculty (MK Council): Tel: 01908 556700
Any student wishing to receive help with any of the areas below can speak with Mrs Griffin.
- CV creation
- Cover Letters
- Application process (e.g. assessment centres)
- Interview techniques
Exams – don’t panic!